FIELD MARSHAL GAMING CONVENTION
We are always looking for energetic, friendly people who would love to help us run our event as smoothly as possible.
If you have ever thought of running your own con, volunteering is the best way to see one from the inside. As always, the convention committee greatly appreciates the time and hard work our volunteers contribute to the show. We couldn’t do it without you!
To reward our hardworking volunteers, partial (or full) pass refunds, possible free swag, and other assorted goodies may be available based on your performance and time spent working the convention floor (Yes, Volunteers still need to register and pay for a guest pass up front for the event).
See further down this page for the volunteer positions available and some must-know information about volunteering for FMGCon!
Please note that FMGCon is not responsible for your travel or accommodations.
NEED TO KNOW INFORMATION
There are a few guidelines you should keep in mind:
Anyone interested in volunteering must be aware of the following policies.
Please read these policies carefully and contact us if you have any questions that are not answered here.
•All volunteers must wear their Volunteer ID badge and uniform (if applicable) while at the convention or working/attending events. This will set a good example for Attendees, who are also required to wear their badge at all times.
- The volunteer application will remain open until 4 FULL WEEKS BEFORE THE EVENT DATE
- Any volunteers accepted for the program will be confirmed at that time
- Volunteers MUST pay for their Guest Pass prior to being accepted
- Compensation will be provided following the close of the convention and will be based on hours worked and individual performance
MORE IMPORTANT VOLUNTEER INFO!
– PLEASE READ PRIOR TO SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION –
VOLUNTEERING AT THE FIELD MARSHAL GAMING CONVENTION
If joining the committee is not for you, please consider helping us out during the event. The committee members often have to take multiple volunteer shifts during the convention, which reduces the time we have available to assist guests and participate in the games ourselves. By volunteering to take a shift, you can help us ensure that our committee members don’t burn themselves out.
CHOOSE A POSITION: Select a time and a job (see below), and let us know what you are interested in and when you are available.
CONFIRMATION: We will be in touch with you and confirm your posting as soon as possible before the event. If you are not contacted before August 15th that means you were not selected as a volunteer.
We will ONLY contact those who are selected.
TRAINING: Some people (depending on the job) will be invited to a briefing night before the convention, so you don’t feel lost and confused once at FMGCon. We highly recommend you attend (There will, of course, be games!)
CHECK-IN: Arrive about 15-30 minutes before your shift and report to the Volunteer Coordinator. He/she will be available through the front desk.
UNIFORM: We expect you to wear your Volunteer ID Badge and (if applicable) FMGCon Shirt at all times when on duty so that people know you’re part of the organization.
CHECK-OUT: Right after your shift, see the Volunteer Coordinator for any potential refund information, signing of documents and to let us know you’re finished.
These tasks depend on when you are available – much of the site work is physical. This is also generally the most needed volunteer position
- Friday evening set-up : Help to lug around tables and chairs, set up the games library, etc.
- Saturday morning set-up : Help to put the final touches on the set-up before the doors open and make sure everything is in order.
- General Convention help : This can include a lot of things such as;
- Work the Library area – Help people make choices and rearrange/replace games as they are returned
- Teach/Demonstrate Games – Show others how to play games!
- Special Event Moderators – Judge or moderate contests and/or tournaments
- Customer Service – Walk about the game area, ensure people are wearing their Guest Badges, answer or re-direct questions, assist those in need
- Sunday evening tear-down and move-out : Stack chairs, gather garbage, fold or move tables, general clean up and help clearing the building of all our stuff.
FRONT DESK JOBS
Work at the front desk requires good people skills as you will be the face of the convention and the first impression provided to everyone who enters.
- Registration Desk : A full committee member is required for this position so there’s always someone “in the know” around. Volunteers may be asked to help at this position.
- Service Desk (Located at the Front Desk) : Pre-registered guests package pick-up. This is also the general information point for questions about accommodations, refreshments, directions, supplies and many more.
- Prize Desk : This is where play-to-win games are located and where prizes, certificates and trophies are prepared before any awards announcements.
The Field Marshal Gaming Convention is run by a group of volunteers on a not-for-profit basis. The Committee meets once a year following each event weekend to elect a board of directors who in turn set policy regarding the projects of the committees and to organize the annual game convention.
FMGCon organizers love to play games and want to give others the opportunity to spend a weekend enjoying a wonderful hobby with like-minded people. We always need extra hands to ensure things go smoothly during the convention.
Fresh ideas are always welcome, especially if they come with new bodies to get the job done.
If you wish to join the convention organizing committee, or just want more information on how you can help out, please contact us at email@example.com